30 Dec 2016

Date 5: The Accidental Date

I met my accidental date in 2008, on a training course. We were at a session about interviewing skills so questions were the order of the day, and as it turned out, I was a natural. Maybe not a journalistic success, but if a chat show hosts were judged on how many of your interviewees you'd snogged, then move over Graham Norton I'm getting Friday night BBC 1. It's just lucky I don't work in the HR recruitment department because it’s saved the tribunal. On second thoughts, maybe I missed a trick. The first foray into eye contact, ruthless questioning and really listening, revealed its power. I've noticed in the years since this, if in doubt ask a question and look like you're listening is the best lazy date strategy. People love talking about themselves. It seems to help. To feign listening you have to not interrupt and then ask another question that vaguely leads on from the last answer they gave. The strategy can be employed at various stages of any relationship, and has particular power during phone calls when your bow insists on seven-minute monologues, when your total input mash-up could only suggest that you’re a big fan of the 2000s indi-rock punk band, the ‘Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs’.   Even less focus required over the phone on those long distance relationships. No eye contact required. 

Way back in 2008, when the staff training had usefully taught me some seduction skills, I received a lot of great kisses from my accidental date between hotel rooms, and then in the park, and then in more parks. There were many parks. Some had deer. He’d introduced me the magic of cucumber, tomato, fresh coriander and salt on pita. Revolutionary for an individual brought up on iceberg lettuce and no dressing. It blew my mind. He is Palestinian and had the tight black curls, a neat and fairly petite frame, brown eyes and rounded features. We’d talked about what it was like to grown up in the Yemen, summer camps with AK47s, and looked at maps where Palestine once existed but no longer did. It was the first time I'd hung out with someone who was suffering with post-traumatic stress disorder. We use the word disorder like it’s unusual, but actually it’s normal physiological reaction. It was only really apparent because we happened to date in November. He certainly wasn’t going to be remember, remembering any gunpowder, treason or plots with me.

In terms of women he was a good Muslim boy at the time, so spending time together was more My Fair Lady than My Bare Lady. My sexually liberated 27-year-old self did find this somewhat frustrating. It had come to an end when I went to Australia, fell in love with a lothario diving instructor (cliché alert) at the Great Barrier Reef (double cliché alert), and love with the diplomatic multilingual Palestinian never rekindled.

Until…,

I bump into him at work. He's attempting to give up smoking so is visibly frustrated and distracted. People from countries where peace can’t be taken for granted seem to smoke more. The message that smoking is not good for your health and may shorten your life doesn't touch the sides when you come from a perspective that smoking doesn't kill you, IEDs (improvised explosive devices, not to be confused with IUDs) do. It's relative when comparing 35 years and a few seconds to the end. He's lived in the U.K. for some time now, knows more Kings of England than I do, and has residency. He's been embracing the culture by going to the BBC proms all month and it's the last week, so he invites me along. 

During the eight-week season of the Proms there are 90 concerts performed by leading orchestras and choirs of the world, in one of London’s finest buildings, the Royal Albert Hall. You can go inside and take a look at the auditorium on Google maps. It’s all for under a tenner if you buy the pleb tickets, which you can even purchase on the door. Warning: Spontaneity might occur, unlike other London events, which are booked out a year in advance.

We went for a beer and Tai curry before the performance. He’s a flexible Muslim, and would pass the non-official test for being a Londoner. In London the pollution is so bad that to limit exposure to heavy metals and other chemicals in the drinking water, it’s best to drink spirits and beer ALL the time. It’s the Wild West End. Fact. By this point we are definitely on a date. There’s so much familiarity that it feels like we have picked up where we left off eight years ago. There’s even some hand holding going on.

It’s very exciting. We are going to see Mendelssohn’s String Adagio, and I’m starting to feel those 'violins strings playing like a symphony', Corrine Bailey Rae style. The music is phenomenal, the setting and the acoustics are stunning. It’s really good to see him, and listen to his balance and insightful views before and after; and to just be.


After a lovely evening we kissed, and it was as dreamy as my memory, but with less smoke and more nostalgia. He asked if I wanted to come back to his but a thought about carefully, and I really wanted my electric toothbrush. It’s hard to explain just how much I love cleaning my teeth!

Post a Comment